A partial list of financial and other assistance not met through government sources includes:
• A family’s lost income from a member called to active duty.
• Personal articles for hospitalized wounded.
• Funds to construct affordable housing on Department of Defense hospital grounds which temporarily house wounded and their families.
• Travel and visitation expenses incurred by a family visiting and caring for its hospitalized family member.
• Lost income and additional expenses incurred while a spouse takes a leave of absence from work to visit and care for a wounded family member.
• Loss of financial benefits resulting from delays in processing disability claims. Disability pay applicants may expect to wait an average of 179 days to process their claims according to current DVA sources. 600,000 veterans are awaiting disposition of their disability claims.
• Rehabilitation equipment and facilities not covered by public benefits.
• Support for hospitalized veterans such as clothing, phone cards and recreational aids.